The Times They Are a-Changin'

So, I didn’t ever really write a birthday post, but turning 20 is sort of a weird experience. It’s not any real benchmark age here in the US. It marks the end of “the teenage years,” but brings with it no perks—nothing seems to change. But leaving teenager-hood (I feel like there’s a better word than that. Adolescence would probably be better, no?) is a little intimidating; I mean, I’ve been alive for two whole decades! I don’t think that this hit me really hard until I watched home videos from my eleventh birthday party and realized how close that seemed, even though it’s been half my lifetime since then. I got this flash of how swiftly time passes, and it shook me. In two years time I’ll be graduating college. Graduating! I should not be allowed to be a real adult yet. I am still wholly in the dark about what I might do with myself once I leave school. I toyed with the idea of graduate school there for a bit, just to avoid the real world, but I don’t think it’s for me. That may change, but for now a mere two years separate me and the “real world,” and somehow I don’t think that “author” is a reasonable straight out of school profession (that is to say, for someone who is unpublished and hasn’t finished any novels or even very many short stories as of yet). So looking out into the future is a scary thing right now, as I am much too comfortable in my current place in the world and don’t really want to ponder where I might go next (or should need to go next).
That’s really it for now. I leave you with a strange old but young feeling, but perhaps that’s because I refuse to ever “grow up.”

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Whimsical Ramblings of an English Major. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.