Film Reviews

Well, I seem to generally fail at keeping up with this. So here’s the short version of my reviews for all of the movies I saw over Christmas break:

The Young Victoria - Jean-Marc Vallée
This film was just as close to perfect as you can get. Okay, I’m a sucker for a period piece, but this film was truly stunning. The cinematography is beautiful, the costumes are exquisite and terribly accurate, and the acting is perfection. One cannot imagine a better fir to the 18 year old monarch than Emily Blunt, who balances Victoria’s youth and strength as a ruler in her lifelike portrayal. Rupert Friend is Wickham no more as he proves his strength as an actor in his Prince Albert. Friend’s Albert is lovable and honest, and convinces the audience he is worthy of Victoria’s love.

But, as much as this love story is beautiful, it is not the focus of the film. This film is truly about the young Victoria, and is certainly worth a watch.




Up in the Air - Jason Reitman

Yes, this film got a lot of hype, but was it as good as it’s made out to be?
Yes, and more. Jason Reitman’s film is funny, poignant, and pertinent. Clooney is impressive as Ryan Bingham, but the true light of the film comes from the women. Both Anna Kendrick and Vera Farmiga shine in their respective roles. In short, see it. It’s worth it.


The Princess and the Frog - Ron Clements, John Musker
Okay, I embraced my inner 8 year old when I saw this and dressed as a princess—tiara and all. Needless to say the adults in the theater were either confused or amused, but the kids were so jealous. But that’s not what made this movie-going experience magical. The film did that all on its own. Taking me back to my childhood (oh Beauty and the Beast, how I love you), Disney completed The Princess and the Frog with hand-drawn animation. The film is also a true musical in the old tradition, with a soundtrack to die for, capturing the Cajun and jazz essence of Louisiana while keeping the music appealing to everyone.

The story is wonderful, the jokes hit, the animation is beautiful, and the singing is to die for. SEE IT!











Sherlock Holmes - Guy Ritchie
It’s fun, I’ll give it that. Steampunk makes me a little too happy sometimes. Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law have great chemistry, and embody the (interestingly rewritten) characters. Okay, I’m an English Major, and sometimes I take umbrage when my favorite characters are messed with. This is why I couldn’t completely embrace the film. But the end-credits were to die for!



Avatar - James Cameron

Meh… Avatar is a gorgeous film. The visuals are ridiculously good, and the special effects dazzle. But come on, it’s FernGully. And that movie scared me as a kid.




Maybe I’m being critical, but the whole story seemed unoriginal to me. The acting was okay from most parties, and Zoe Saldana was amazing. I do admire the physical work the actors had to put in to play the Na’vi, but the story fell so flat. Sorry guys. I didn’t see it in 3-D though, and maybe that makes the visuals worth the sub-par plot.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment

Back to Home Back to Top Whimsical Ramblings of an English Major. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.